Saturday, January 9, 2010

Steak Your Claim!


For my first entry I thought I should start at the beginning. I had never successfully cooked a steak, and Alton has never failed me, so why not?

First off, I like to gather everything that I need together BEFORE I start so once I get going I don't start running around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for ingredients or utensils (it's not pretty).



Hardware
  • 12" Cast Iron Skillet (or at least big enough to fit two steaks in comfortably)
  • Digital Meat/Food Thermometer with a skinny probe!
  • Trusty pair of tongs (Is there such a thing as a singular tong?)
  • Colander
  • Bowl big enough to fit said colander inside
  • Pot Lid to fit on top of colander (assembled and ready like the one in the picture)
Software
  • 2 1/2" Thick boneless rib-eye steaks  (Brought to room temperature by removing from the fridge 1 hour before cook time. When purchasing make sure they have a healthy consistent coloring and look MOIST.)
  • 1 tsp. Canola Oil or Safflower Oil
  • 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper (fresh makes a difference!)
Before I go on, I need to say something about the oil. In the cookbook Alton says to use Canola oil, which results in a smoky kitchen... However on the episode of Good Eats he tells us we could use oils with higher smoke points (safflower oil) and reduce smokiness! I used Safflower and had NO smoke, but if you don't have this available, canola can be used.

Moving on... Crank that oven up to 500 degrees F. and place your empty clean skillet inside! While the oven is heating, rub your steaks down with the canola oil on both sides and liberally sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
Once the oven is heated, move the skillet (use a hot pad or oven gloves, it will be hot) to the cook top over high heat for 5 minutes.
NOW you put the meat in. After putting both steaks in don't touch them for 30 seconds (use a timer).
Flip the steaks over and wait another 30 seconds (please, tell me you are using a timer).
Move the skillet back to the oven for 2 minutes. Flip the steaks and cook for another 2 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the oven and use your thermometer, be sure to poke the thermometer through the side of the steak, to ensure you are finding the middle and not just the plate on the bottom.

How do you like your steak cooked?

  •  Rare: 120 to 127 degrees F.
  • Medium-rare: 128 to 135 degrees F. 
  • Medium: 136 to 145 degrees F.
  • Toast: 146 and UP
I enjoy medium rare, and 4 minutes was just enough time! If need be, you can place the steaks back in the oven for a minute or two be sure to flip and check doneness!
Once you have your steaks to the desired temperature place the steaks in the prepared colander-bowl contraption (with lid) and let the steaks REST for 5 minutes.



Yum, all done!

I sliced mine up and it made three very healthy servings..

Totally Optional...
After five minutes take the steak juices that have collected in the bowl and pour them back in the skillet, whisk in a tablespoon or two of butter, scrape up all the goodies that have stuck to the pan while cooking and use it! Pour it over the steak, potatoes, vegetables, in a cup? It's good stuff!

Because this is my first post, I wanted to say thank you for reading and that I promise to take more pictures next time! Also, comments/suggestions are welcome!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to be the benefactor as well as the beneficiary
    of the products of this blog. The steak was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your title, Steak Your Claim. Cute!! Good job! The next one could be Work your mussels. Hehe. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me when it's ready next time. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a blogging rock star! How I wish I could be a lucky recipient of your good eats!

    ReplyDelete